Friday, April 8, 2011

The Met's Costume Institute Releases "Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty"


A few select journalists including Hilary Alexander from the Telegraph received advanced copies of the catalog from the Met's upcoming exhibition on Alexander McQueen entitled Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty.

The catalog includes by photographs of iconic McQueen collections photographed by Solve Sundsbo. According the Ms. Alexander, the photographs are interspersed with insights from McQueen about his work, such as "I like to think of myself as a plastic surgeon with a knife", "I want to empower women. I want people to be afraid of the women I dress", "People find my things sometimes aggressive. But I don't see it as aggressive. I see it as romantic, dealing with the dark side of personality."



The exhibition will open with the Met Gala on May 2. This year's red carpet at the Gala will be even more show-stopping than usual, as everyone will surely don their favorite McQueen gowns in honor of the late designer.

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty will be open to the public from May 4 - July 31 at the Met's Costume Institute. It is not to be missed.

Photos by Style.com and The Telegraph