Friday, March 22, 2013

Stylist Spotlight: Naeemah LaFond

Salon Name & Location: amika (NY, NY) – National Pro Education Manager 

How and why did you get into the industry? I began my career doing session styling, and as a creative soul I fell in love with the art. My favorite part of being involved in the education process is that I get to be surrounded by fellow stylists where I can inspire and be inspired. 
What is your favorite part about being a stylist? The creativity 
Who are your beauty idols? Charlize Theron and Beyonce
Where do you get your hair & beauty inspiration from? The Red Carpet & the runways
What is your Drug Store beauty secret? St.Ives Apricot Scrub
What beauty product or service do you splurge on? I’m a spa junkie. I once went to a spa in Iceland and got a facial in a hot lagoon over-looking the mountains. I’ve been having a great time trying to top that experience ever since. 
How do you feel about the DIY revolution & how has it affected your business? DIY’s are a great way for clients to look amazing between salon visits. However, there is nothing better than having your hair professionally styled and getting the expert advice of a trained stylist.
What hair myth do you want to put to rest? Greasy hair. There is no such thing…it’s your scalp that is greasy. If you have that issue, you want to look for hair products that treat the scalp as well as the hair.
Do you prefer your clients to bring in pictures of how they want their hair cut/dyed/styled? Pictures ensure that both the stylist and the client are on the same page.
Who does YOUR hair? I do my own hair. I’m not the best client. It’s like cooking for a chef….too much feedback. 
What hair trends are popular right now? Retro Waves….they were all over the golden globes.
What hair trend are you tired of? Pastel Colored Hair
What do you think is the next big trend in hair? Updos. People are doing a lot more interesting things with their hair now with DIYs and social media image sharing being so popular. 
How has advanced consumer knowledge affected your business? I get to be more creative with the classes that I teach. Salon clients want the most current and unique looks, therefore, stylists are reaching out for more advanced training and on-trend styling classes to keep up with the demands.   
What is your favorite amika product or tool and why? My favorite amika product is the Digital Titanium Clip Free Curler. It’s the perfect size for beachy waves and messy chignons.
ProTip:
-A quarter size amount of the leave-in cream cocktailed with a dime sized amount of the oil treatment is the perfect remedy for parched curls.
-We’ve heard before that updos last longer on hair that is a little bit dirty. However, if you are prone to oily roots you can spray some perk up dry shampoo into your roots before your updo (especially at the hairline) so that your hair looks fresh but still has staying power.