Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Stylist Spotlight: Vincent Lann

Salon Name & Location: Freelance and Alibi salon 67 Greene St, Suite #2, New York, NY 10012
Website: www.vincent-lann.com
How and why did you get into the industry?I’ve always known that I wanted a career that was hands on and creative, and hair really seems like a no brainer since the industry is ever evolving and the creativity is endless.
What is your favorite part about being a stylist?
I love being able to bring out the inner beauty that is within all of us and of course pushing the creative boundaries of hair.
Who are your beauty idols?
I have many idols, from iconic beauties like Bridget Bardo & Farah Fawcett to current idols like Madonna & Lady Gaga.
Where do you get your hair & beauty inspiration from?
From runways, fashion magazines and even people-watching.
What is your Drug Store beauty secret?
Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser!
What beauty product or service do you splurge on?
A nice relaxing deep tissue massage.

How do you feel about the DIY revolution & how has it affected your business?
I think it’s great because women are taking more interest and care in their daily hair routine and they are willing to try out new styles whether it is in a salon or at home! 
What hair myth do you want to put to rest?
That you shouldn’t wash your hair everyday because it’s bad for your hair. Everyone is different and unique in their own ways and if you are like me you will wash your hair at least once if not twice in day because of an oily scalp! Just remember to brush your hair with a natural boar bristle brush before washing your hair because your natural oil is one of the best things for your hair.
Do you prefer your clients to bring in pictures of how they want their hair cut/dyed/styled?
I wouldn’t say it’s necessary, but having a visual reference that can help pinpoint what your client likes about the picture is great, especially for first-time client. That way you get a better sense of who your client is and what they are trying to accomplished.
Who does YOUR hair?
I bounce around a lot because I haven’t found my dream stylist, but I doubt I will because I’m a stylist myself so I tend to be a little critical.

What hair trends are popular right now?Sleek hair with textured ends. It’s the new beach waves.
What hair trend are you tired of?
Badly done creative color ombre. If you are going to be creative, make sure that the ombre will suit your skin tone and style, because the last thing you want is for your creative ombre to be well... too creative.
What do you think is the next big trend in hair?
Braids! They are so versatile and with summer around the corner you’ll be sure to see them everywhere.
How has advanced consumer knowledge affected your business?
I’ve always educated my clients about their hair and what they need, and I think it’s great that consumers are able to find out more information about what they are putting in and doing to their own hair, because the more you know, the better.
What is your favorite amika product or tool and why?
My favorite amika tool would have to be the Five Barrel Curler, because with 5 interchangeable pieces you could create a variety of different sizes, curls or waves, and from there the sky's the limit!

ProTip: If your hair tends to fall flat after styling, this will be a great 5 second fix that will give your hair a quick boost of volume. All you have to do is to spray some Amika touchable hairspray onto the palms of your hands and with your fingers spread, reach into your hair from underneath and massage the hairspray onto the scalp, giving the root a nice boost of va va voom.